Founder of group Steve Flack’s Guitar Heroes
A.Mus.A with the Australian Music Examination Board (A.M.E.B)
L.T.C.L (Licentiate Trinity College London) for classical guitar
Steve Flack acquired his skills and deep love of the classical and jazz guitar from the many renowned musicians and teachers with whom he has studied and played, including:
- Peter Calvo, founder of the Australian Institute of Music, who was himself a student of Len Williams, father of Australia’s John Williams.
- Greg Pikler, who teaches at the NSW Conservatorium of Music and is one of Australia’s most highly regarded classical guitar teachers.
- Dulcie Holland, noted Australian composer and educator.
- Ike Isaacs, one of England’s great exponents of jazz guitar – from whom Steve gained his great love for Jazz.
- Experienced players and teachers, based in New York, such as Bucky Pizzarelli who played guitar in place of Charlie Christian in Benny Goodman’s band
Steve has recorded 2 CDs of well-known tunes – jazz standards.
- The first with Ron Martin, a Sydney based upright bass player who boasts being the first bass player to play electric bass guitar in Australia
- The second with another legendary Australian bass player, Steve Hunter
Steve’s current performing and recording project is a show called Steve Flack’s Guitar Heroes that celebrates guitar greats with high profile Australian guitar players, guesting on the CDs and in his shows.
The show is a tribute to his first inspiration to take up the guitar, the blues rock guitar players of the classic rock era, guitarists like Eric Clapton, Jimmy Hendrix, Jimmy Page and Carlos Santana.
Playing and backing great musicians
Steve has played with long line up of great Australian musicians, including Ian Moss (Cold Chisel), Pete Wells (Rose Tattoo), Phil Emmanuel, Phil Manning (Chain), Dennis Wilson (Kharvis Jute), Dai Pritchard (Billy Thorpe and Rose Tattoo), Les Gock (Hush), Jake Lardot (Lee Kernaghan’s band), Jim Kelly (Crossfire) and Dom Turner (Backsliders).
Steve has backed Angry Andersen, and played with drummers and bass players from bands such as Split Enz, The Angels, Rose Tattoo, Dragon and Swanee.
One of the highlights of his work with musicians was to have played on stage with Seymour Duncan at the AMAC (Australian Music Association) at the Gold Coast in 2006.
Always another project
Teaching music and the love of the guitar and jazz holds equal part in Steve’s heart.
- Steve has created an extensive series of instructional videos to help aspiring players learn guitar online.
- He also provides a regular tuition column and guitar lessons (via DVD insert) for Australian Guitar Magazine
He has created an online library of interviews with leading guitar musicians, such as Albert Lee, one of the world’s greatest country and rock and roll guitarists, who has played with Eric Clapton, Emmy Lou Harris and others.